Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recovery Paleo Bars

I know you're thinking that "Recovery Paleo Bars" are probably a post-workout snack full of protein. While they are full of protein (and deliciousness), these actually were made to "recover" from a day in normal society with other human beings. This may sound strange, but for those who don't know, I work from home everyday and have become frighteningly used to being in workout clothes and by myself. I am 100% a people-person, but I now get completely exhausted when I reenter the real world and have a day in the life of a typical business professional. After a solid day of 8+ hours of meetings downtown, I took a cab home and immediately changed out of my suit, heels, and stockings. I ate some leftover chicken soup while I finished my work for the day and knew that I would need to create a recovery masterpiece to get back to my normal self. This recipe was inspired by my love of larabars; you can use any nuts/seeds that you like, and I'm sure I will make a ton of variations with different fruits and spices as well. This is an extremely quick and easy recipe that is great for a snack or dessert. These are also great to make ahead of time before a trip so you know you always have something paleo on-the-go.



Ingredients:
- 8 oz. of whole pitted dates
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds

Instructions:
1. Chop dates in food processor
2. Add almond flour until combined
3. Put date/almond flour mixture in a mixing bowl and fold in coconut oil
4. Add coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, and sliced almonds and kneed with your hands until fully mixed (it will form a thick ball)
5. Transfer ball onto parchemont paper and flatten (with hands, rolling pin, wine bottle, etc.) until a thin rectangle is formed
6. Trim the edges with a knife to form the shape you want
7. Stick in the freezer for 10 minutes
8. Take the bars out of the freezer, slice, and enjoy! 
9. Wrap the leftovers in plastic wrap, and call a friend to come over so you don't eat them all












4 comments:

  1. These sound sooo goood! :) I'm thinking of marketing and branding already - are these going to be consider "original flavor"?
    I also know whatcha mean abouts recovery babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out amazing! You would absolutely love them, and they would be a great substitute for your snickers fix ;) There is no question that these would sell at SOWA... the wheels are turning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made these several times now. LOVE! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete