Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Viewer's Choice: Paleo Meatza or Egg-Bake

With only 13 days left until the Avon walk in NYC, I have decided I am going to walk as many days as possible to get my feet prepared for the 40-mile trek even though I already completed my 500-mile challenge. My feet, as (too) many of you know, are not exactly my nicest feature. My mom always said that I will have no problem finding a husband one day as long as I am always wearing at least one sock! Maybe I will post a picture of my feet if I reach 10,000 followers. On the other hand, that may decrease my following back down to 20 random paleo cavemen with foot fetishes. I will have to think about this one...

On today's 5-mile lunchtime walk, I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a Tufts women's 10k road race for Columbus Day. There was amazing energy in the city, and it was a perfect day for a walk. I thoroughly enjoyed walking through the public garden with "Eye of the Tiger" blasting from the Common. I then escaped the race commotion for a bit and walked through the esplanade. I snapped a gorgeous picture of a perfect fall tree. I wish this time of year would stick around for a lot longer.  


Today's recipe started out as a variation of my standard once-a-week egg-bake/casserole, but as I went, I decided it also could be a wannabe recipe for paleo meatza. I'm leaving this one up to you! Either way, this is a perfect recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and is great because it can feed five hungry people. All the veggies came from my SOWA trip yesterday, and the eggs are from Siena Farms - everything is so fresh, and I am convinced you can taste the difference. It took a serious amount of restraint to stop eating this, but I decided that a pound of turkey and a dozen eggs is probably a bit much for one day. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
- ~1lb. all natural ground turkey (or any other ground meat)
- 12 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped (I like the sweet ones)
- 1 big shallot, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 big heirloom tomatoes, sliced (forgot to include them in the picture, but I promise they were beautiful)
- Sea salt, pepper, & oregano
- 1 tsp. fat (I used bacon grease - other options are coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil...)
- Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Melt your fat in a pan over medium heat, and add your chopped onion, shallot, and garlic
3. Let them cook down and soften up for 5-10 minutes and then add the ground meat
4. While the meat is cooking, put your zucchini in a gallon sized plastic bag and add some olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Seal the bag and dance around for ~45 seconds or until the zucchini is evenly seasoned
5. Lay the zucchini slices on a baking sheet (I covered mine in tin foil for easy cleanup) and bake for 20-25 minutes flipping halfway through
6. Once your meat mixture is fully cooked, transfer it into a greased casserole dish using a slotted spoon to get rid of any extra fat
7. Layer your thick tomato slices on top of the meat
8. Take your zucchini out of the oven and carefully layer that on top of the tomatoes
9. Crack a dozen eggs on top of the layered dish and bake for 12-20 minutes depending on your egg preference

P.S. A few of my yolks broke during the baking process, so I broke the rest of them with a fork so everything would cook evenly.

P.P.S. If you like spicy food (I don't), you could add some cayenne pepper, hot sauce, etc. to this.













No comments:

Post a Comment