Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

CPG Soup

WHAT a day! I decided my team at work deserved a little home-cooked goodness to kick off our busy season and have a little team bonding. After about ten back-to-back meetings, I left work early, went to the grocery store, and cooked for 2.5 hours straight. I went with a belated Cinco de Mayo theme and made fajitas, guacamole, mango salsa, Mexican stuffed mushrooms, and spiced cantaloupe. We had a great time, and I just finished over an hour of cleaning dishes. Luckily I prepped all my blogposts over the weekend after my insane cooking spree, so I have a great soup to share tonight. The "CPG" stands for carrots, peppers, and greens (not that creative, sorry). I had a ton of leftover veggies (still perfecting meal planning and my new routine), so I figured I would make some soup. Ironically, as I was cooking the carrots, my mom sent me this picture of her with her Kentucky Derby hat with carrots attached to the top. Leave it to the girl from the Bronx to make the most creative (ridiculous) Derby hat. While she didn't win the hat contest she entered, the woman who did win didn't actually make her hat (she borrowed one from a friend!). In my mind, that makes my mom the winner. I am proud to say that I have learned a lot from my mom over the years - everything from my passion of cooking to a love of crazy costumes!

CPG Soup: Serves: 4-5, Prep time: 20 min, Cook time: 50 min

Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped- 10-12 cloves of garlic, chopped (one large head)- 1 pound baby carrots- 3 sweet peppers, chopped (I used 1 red, 1 yellow, & 1 orange)
- 1 bunch organic rainbow chard, chopped

- 2 quarts organic vegetable broth (I used Pacific)
- 1 bunch organic beet greens, chopped

Instructions:
1. Heat coconut oil over medium heat
2. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes until lightly golden brown
3. Add carrots and peppers and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently
4. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil
5. Cover pot and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes
6. Add greens and cook another 5 minutes
7. Remove pot from heat and blend with an immersion blender (or food processor/blender)
8. Serve immediately or let cool and serve later - tastes best after it has a chance to sit for a few hours or overnight in the fridge!


  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment